My parents recently went on a cross country drive for a week, traveling through the Dakotas, Indiana, and a couple other states. Honestly, I wasn't paying too much attention after my mom said "the Dakotas," because well, it's the Dakotas? I mean, I'll admit I'm completely ignorant of most states in the Midwest and what they have to offer, but I was still a little flabbergasted. When they returned, they both gushed about the Black Hills, Deadwood, etc., but I was still a little
But it got me waxing Carrie Bradshaw, wondering where I would go in the great American continent if given the chance. And the passport. Because shit, I can go wherever I want in the States. And then I could totally use the camper I dream-own and be kind of like the guy who lives in a camper that's parked a block away from my office (He even has an arm chair sitting underneath a tree with a sign that says, "Keep it clean" and a Bible, a pack of cigarettes, and a really short pencil sealed in a baggie nailed under the sign.).
Anyway, here's my imaginary itinerary.
1) Biloxi, MS - My birth place and home to my soul. I love the Gulf Coast so much, it's almost like I never left.
2) New Orleans, LA - Shut up, it's an awesome city. And no, I would not stay on Bourbon Street. How passe.
3) Houston, TX - Visiting my mother's brother, his wife, and their daughter, my lovely cousin. They're pretty awesome people and would probably let Three and I eat for free.
4) Austin, TX - This city has a pretty awesome music scene and is probably the only place in Texas I would actually consider living.
5) San Antonio, TX - I've never been here, but I've heard stories about how great it is. We'll see about that, friends.
6) Neuvo Laredo, TX - Yep, you can guess where we're headed: MEXICO!!!
7) Monterrey, Mexico - I don't know what's here, but damnit, I wanna know.
8) Durango, Mexico - This city just sounds cool.
9) Mazatlan, Mexico - Three is in love with west coast Mexican food with its seafood and pure awesomeness.
10) Guadalajara, Mexico - Well, this one is just in between Mazatlan and Mexico City. So.
11) MEXICO CITY!! (where else would it be?) - I have always wanted to go there. A Spanish instructor of mine was from Mexico City and couldn't say enough good things about it. Maybe she was biased. I don't know. I mean, I wrote a whole damned post about things I hate about Nashville and I've been here for 20 years. Fuck, twenty damned years.
Honestly, I'd love to go further, but as of right now, that little traverse? Per Google Maps, I'm clocking in at 45 hours of just driving. And according to Google Maps, this route includes tolls. Meh, oh, well.
Damnit, now I really want to go on this trip. We're going to have to make it happen, Three.