Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Thirty Days of Buffy, Day 14: Favorite Female Villain

As if there's any other choice?
Drusilla (Juliet Landau)
Like Faith in Season Three, Drusilla is a twisted mirror image of Buffy, particularly after (SPOILER ALERT) Angel loses his soul. Angel told Buffy when Dru was first introduced that she had lost her grip on reality because of his own torture and manipulation, and I always wondered if, had Angel been human or ensouled when he met Drusilla, his obsession with her would have transformed into a pure love and devotion, like his dedication to Buffy. When Angelus began his own crusade against Buffy, the past was repeating itself, and if Buffy hadn't been able to get her shit together, she might have become a twin to Drusilla, both in insanity and in sire. That's actually kind of chilling, if you think about it.
Can I, like, have her hair? Please??
While she's a cautionary tale for Buffy, Drusilla also represents the kind of threat that many girls and women feel when they are dating their supposed true love: the past girlfriend. Buffy is initially intimidated by Dru when she sees Angel talking to her in the park, and then she dreams that Dru takes him away from her. Eventually, Angel turns back into Angelus and he thus returns to Dru (and Spike), which only reinforces this fear. I really have to hand it to Joss Whedon and Co. with this aspect of Buffy. If you want to know what teenagers (at least, white teenagers in the late 90s and early 2000s) think and go through, watch this show.
This woman is just flawless. 
Honestly, a large portion of my Dru-love is her demented babble. For example:
"The King of Cups expects a picnic. But this is not his birthday." - "Fool for Love"
"Your face is a poem. I can read it." - "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered"
"You know what I miss? Leeches." - "Halloween"
In the later comics, apparently, Dru has been cured of her insanity, and I'm not sure I want to live in a fictional world where she doesn't scold Miss Edith for speaking out of turn. It's such a wonderful part of her personality, albeit brought on by tragedy and an evil Angelus, and to have her sane just kind of makes her just another vampire. I haven't read the comics yet, although I'm intrigued since Juliet Landau herself actually co-wrote the story. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...