Friday, May 10, 2013

Thirty Days of Buffy, Day 9: Favorite Romance

So I went and got sick and so yesterday's post is late, but oh well. I'm feeling moderately better (no fever now!), so onward Buffy soldier, I guess. This post is going to be short because first off, I really don't think that the romances are the most interesting relationships of the show and, two, there is a strange lacking of quality pictures on the internet (at least to me) of my favorite couple.

In reality, I wish I could go into Seasons Eight and Nine here, because - contrary to my general loathing of the male half of the pairing - my current favorite romantic relationship is Xander and Dawn, but I'm limiting myself to the TV series, so ... whatever.

But this also means that I get to talk about one of my favorite things about Season Two, and no, I'm not talking about the pairing of crushed velvet pants and belly shirts (although that's a good guess).
SPIKE AND DRU
This couple actually is what drew me into Season Two. I was wondering what the writers would do villain-wise after the Master, and they brilliantly chose to go in this direction, with two vampires who were not bound by ritual (very much like Buffy herself is) and obviously crazy about each other.
While Dru is obviously just crazy.
The chemistry between James Marsters and Juliet Landau was palpable. They were just so well matched and played off each other so fucking well that I almost wanted to believe that the actors were desperately in love, as well*.
I'm fairly sure Juliet Landau does not age.
Their relationship is only featured in Season Two, but it had its own ramifications throughout the rest of the series. It calls Spike back to Sunnydale in Season Three and continues to affect his decision-making processes, all the way into Season Seven. What's interesting to me now is, as I was going back and watching the series again recently, that Drusilla is totally the dominant one of the relationship, although Spike is shown to be the more physically active one. Even from the beginning of their story, Drusilla chose to make William the Bloody Poet into a vampire and seemed to be the one who initiated their sexual encounters out of an attraction for the chaos he represented. Her actions (i.e. flirtations with Angel) and needs (i.e. becoming strong again) drive Spike during Season Two. In Season Five, she's the one who tries to return him to the killing fold. I mean, Spike called himself Love's Bitch, and I never really realized how true that statement was.

Another thing I love about these two is the genuine love they share for each other, despite being nearly irredeemably evil. Even the Judge from "Surprise" and "Innocence" recognizes their "stink," and then three seasons later, Drusilla admits that vampires can love well, "if not wisely." Spike's dedication to Dru mirrors Angel's own dedication to Buffy, and actually kind of opens the doors to the graying of Buffy's world: even bad guys can have admirable qualities, and some humans (aka Maggie Walsh) can be even more ruthless and unfeeling than the demons that Buffy fights.

And now I've gone and gotten more philosophical than I intended, so I'll just end this here, since I'm going to cover the last topic more later on this month. Again, I apologize for being behind, but hey, I can give myself a sick day if I need one. Yet another aspect of self-employment that I enjoy.

* When I was little, my parents let me watch Top Gun without any editing, and I was well aware that the people on the screen were actors. However, I was absolutely CERTAIN that Hollywood wouldn't promote infidelity in any way, so when Maverick and Charlie were having Teh Sexytimes, I just knew that they shot it in silhouettes because Kelly McGillis was actually Tom Cruise's wife. Luckily, I've grown up since then.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...