Saturday, June 1, 2013

Thirty Days of Buffy, Day 24: Favorite Example of 90s Special Effects

Oh, hahahaha, this show with its special effects. It wasn't nearly as bad as Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, which whoa, guys, if you haven't seen those, seriously. Pull up Netflix and watch some episodes. It's so awesomely bad, there should be a show dedicated entirely to it. Buffy actually had pretty decent effects for its time period and budget, and the dusting of vampires is probably one of my favorite ways TV has shown how you execute them. Like so many sci-fi/fantasy shows, however, they fell flat on their faces a couple of times, and it was always glorious to watch.

My favorite, though, is from Season Two because aahahahahaha! THIS:
Machida from "Reptile Boy"
Oh, my God, I even remember watching this for the first time and laughing hysterically because it was obvious this guy was walking around in this giant body condom suit thing with some CGI added on. I mean, you could see his legs moving inside and everything. I wonder if it was a budget constraint that kept them from actually fixing this, because let's face it, Buffy was always a cult show. They may have had more money thrown at them in later seasons, but never to the degree that other non-speculative fiction shows have.
Designer duds ain't cheap, y'all.
And really, I almost don't want them to change any of it, even if it would supposedly look better. I'm reminded of watching the updated original Star Wars trilogy and thinking, "I want the original Sy Snootles back."

I mean, yeah, it looked completely ridiculous but it was so much better than the silly musical number Lucas had his crew replace it with. I think that Joss is a bit better than that for the most part, but he has surprised me (in a negative way) before so ... here's hopin'.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...