Friday, August 15, 2014

31 Day Battlestar Galactica Challenge, Day 15: Favorite Razor/The Plan Scene

The Plan wasn't necessarily my favorite because I, for one, really do enjoy a little bit of ambiguity. Knowing exactly why Leoben was obsessed with Kara Thrace doesn't make it any less disturbing, and how does being shown who Caprica-Six met after talking with Baltar in the miniseries make me despise Cavil more (hint: it doesn't)? However, I really enjoyed Razor, partially because we see Admiral Cain's descent to the dark side*, especially if you see the uncut version where Helena loses her entire family in one day during the first Cylon war, and also because we get to see more people within the fleet, such as it is. It's one reason I appreciated Star Wars: The Clone Wars; we can actually witness that universe through the eyes of characters that aren't the Skywalkers. Kendra Shaw is probably my favorite character out of this whole thing, and it's because of the following scene.

Now, I've made no bones about the fact that I can't stand Lee Adama, except for a handful of times where he isn't being a useless cheesestick, and when the newly (at least in the timeline, since this was aired at the beginning of the fourth season) promoted Commander Adama, he smartly makes Kendra Shaw his XO, but not after asking her about her behavior following the death of Admiral Cain. He tells her that the admiral thought the world of her, but Fisk and Garner, the admiral's successors, pretty much hated her, and she is as blunt as I probably would have been in that situation, including her own assessment of Adama himself:
"Fisk was a black market sell-out. Piece of garbage. Unworthy of the uniform. Garner was a martinet who tried to micromanage this ship like it was some bulky piece of machinery ... You're a step up. That doesn't change the fact that you're an outsider who was brought in to clean up our mess or the impression that your daddy just gave you a battlestar like he was tossing you the keys to a new car."
You can ask the Husfriend if I stood up and applauded Shaw for this, because I did, and if she was a real person, I'd have found her and shook her hand vigorously. Because seriously, Adama? Your son was having serious issues this season: mutiny, depression, attempted suicide, used a prostitute as a substitute girlfriend, being his whiny self, etc. Do you really think he has any real leadership abilities, just because you and he share the same genes? Come on! He revenge-marries Dualla (you deserve so much better, my sweet Dee) because Starbuck is an emotional trainwreck and weds Anders (you deserve so much better, Anders). Does that honestly sound like commandment material to you? It does? Well, okay then? Sure hope that doesn't come back to bite you in the ass when he decides that, nope, I'm not really cut out for the military and then hands you his wings in a bratty huff, only to stand behind his decision when his head has "cleared" and he can join the Quorum - with Tom Zarek (of all people) backing him - and irritate Roslin with his idealism. 

Have I mentioned that I really loathe Lee?

* I really wish that Lucas had watched this before starting his whole prequel debacle. That would have saved us from three shit movies.

< Day 14                      Day 16 >
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...