Friday, August 22, 2014

31 Day Battlestar Galactica Challenge, Day 22: Most Surprising Moment

Anastasia "Dee" Dualla
Via manicpixiedust.com
My sweet, sweet Dee. I really should learn to notice cinematic signs that some shit's about to go down: dwelling on a seemingly insignificant action, momentary emotional contentment, etc. I mean, I figured out, as soon as Admiral Cain entered her quarters after the successful resurrection ship mission, that Gina was in the room and was going to kill her, so Adama wouldn't have to do so. But with Dee? I had no idea. It was just nice to see her happy after watching her reaction to the condition of Earth.
And then? Boom, gone. She is no more.
"I just want to hang on to this feeling as long as I can."
Oh, the tears and shock that followed her death. I was furious that the writers would take this direction with her. Dee had gone through so much through the season that to see her kill herself was actually painful. I have a tendency to get creepily attached* to fictional characters, and Dee was no exception. I didn't see this coming, and it brought back so many memories of a friend of mine who shot himself while I was in high school. All of those emotions just came back to me: the loss, the anger, the depression. The writers had made me care for Dee, even when she made bad decisions (why, hello there, Lee Adama), so while it was one logical conclusion to her character arc, I still felt stabbed in the back.

But as I said on Day 19, I have a head-canon story line that has Dee alive and well and with Billy until the end of time, so there is that.

* Playing Mass Effect 3 was so. hard. to play: watching Mordin die, witnessing Thane's slow death in the hospital, thinking that Grunt was killed by the rachni, etc. Those Bioware people really know how to tug at the heartstrings.

< Day 21                  Day 23 >
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...