Friday, November 28, 2014

30 Day Mass Effect Challenge, Day 28: Destroy, Control, or Synthesis?

Alright, let's just get this out of the way. I didn't like this ending because it was just dumb. I'm not going to explain my reasons because, quite frankly, there are many other posts out there that do a much better, more concise job than I could ever do. It was just a giant letdown, one that not even an extended ending (which just kind of made it more dumb) or an alternate theory (indoctrination) could fix.
Via Tumblr
With that done, here we go. Out of the three options - destroy, control, or synthesis - the only one that I refused to choose was "control," because I felt that none of my Shepards, renegade or not, would willingly elect to become a Reaper. Based on the other games, this choice seemed to fly straight in the face of the basic character that was Shepard.

That leaves us with destroy and synthesis. Destroy is what I use when I'm being nostalgic and thinking of Shepard's relationships with her friends and lovers, imagining what it would be like if she adopts that little krogan baby with Garrus or if she goes to hang out with Jack at a club, dancing as shittily as she possibly can. It's my go-to ending when I want that last little breath of hope - that Shepard still lives.

But honestly? Synthesis is what I think my Shepard would have wanted. Destroying EDI and the geth, after securing their loyalty, would just be unconscionable to her. And it would supposedly bring a peace (if that stupid little Star Child asshole is to be trusted) that none of the other options would. The Reapers have one thing right: organics, no matter how advanced, will eventually resort to war with those it disagrees, so destroying the Reapers would not end the cycle, and after a millennia or so of the Reaper overlords under the control ending, the organics would feel somewhat enslaved or overly monitored, ultimately ending in another all-out attack and probably their (organics) complete destruction. Sure, it's speculation, but hey, this is a science fiction video game. What do you want from me?

< Day 27: Favorite OST Tracks (Part I or Part II)        Day 29: Next? >
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...