Saturday, November 29, 2014

30 Day Mass Effect Challenge, Day 29: What Would I Like to See Next?

If anybody makes a movie version of the Mass Effect trilogy, I am going to scream bloody murder. Part of the beauty of video games is the interactivity, and a movie just takes that right away. Hell, even when the main character is a blank slate who only grunts his/her way around (Hi, Master Chief!), there's a sense that you are that character, especially when it's a first-person sort of thing.

Alright, with that out of the way ...

Via Orbit Books
I already mentioned that I'd love to see a comic book starring Gianna Parasini - seriously, anyone who wants me to write it, just let me know - and that is actually more of what I'd like to see: lesser known (or completely unknown) characters that aren't part of the main storyline. One of the strongest aspects of Star Wars: The Clone Wars was that the episodes didn't always focus on the main cast or even Jedi/Sith. Sure, they were a part of it, but we also got to see the regular people suffering the affects of war, the clone troopers' individuality in spite of their sameness (even the voice actor made sure to speak differently for each soldier), and those who were willing to profit off of the misery of others, just to name a few. It made the Star Wars universe feel fresh again, like it was bigger and more interesting than a battle between yin and yang.

While I haven't read any of the novels yet - it's on my to-do list, okay? - I have had a chance to look at the comics that have been released by Dark Horse*, and I can't say that I'm too impressed. It seems to be phoned in: an attempt at the fan service (I really wanted Mordin's story to be much more engaging than it turned out to be) of the Citadel DLC but without the heart, and the art wasn't even that great. It was pretty much just riding on the fact Mass Effect has pretty die-hard fans that would probably just buy it because it was associated with the game. It also didn't help that most of the stories weren't really necessary, just a rehashing of stuff mentioned in the game, like when Thane first met the woman who would become his wife. Some things are just better left hidden, I guess.

So that's what I would like to see: more books and comics about the people that exist outside of Commander Shepard's circle. Obviously, I think Gianna would be a great place to start, but what about the salarian League of One medallions that Shepard was collecting the first game? Whatever happened to those guys? They could actually go a step further, to the universe before humans joined in on the fun. There's so much potential here, and I hope Bioware/EA capitalizes on it. And hahaha, it's EA, of course they're going to try to figure out a way to eke as much money as they can out of a franchise.

< Day 28: Destroy/Control/Synthesis?        Day 30: Overall Opinion >


* Dark Horse has done an okay job with Mass Effect, but I can't help but think that it should have been done by IDW. They seem to have a penchant for taking an established piece of art and transferring the original feel into something brilliant and interesting. I'm loving the new GI Joe by Karen Traviss, and Big Trouble in Little China is fun and zany, as you would expect it to be. I don't read Transformers, but apparently, most fans of the series are more than pleased with IDW's treatment of it. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...