Sunday, February 1, 2015

28 Day Bubblegum Crisis Challenge, Day 1: How I Was Introduced to Bubblegum Crisis

Via FanPop
Ahhh, this brings me back to my days as a sales associate for Sam Goody/Suncoast. When Jeff, my manager, asked me which side of the store I'd rather work, I immediately told him that I wanted to live with the movies, an answer he found amusing. I hadn't been exposed to anime yet, other than what was on Cartoon Network's Toonami block at the time (Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z), so I was intrigued by the small wall of VHS tapes* with all of these big eyed (and busted) women and heavily muscled men on the covers. I'd read a few manga - back when I was 16, not a lot was available in terms of international publications, and anything Japanese was most likely going to be way too expensive for my ass to be able to afford - but I wasn't in any way obsessed like I was with Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The first series that I got into was actually Martian Successor Nadesico, a fairly recent anime (maybe a year or two old), but then I found Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040. I bought all of the VHSs (it's actually a pretty good series in its own right), as they were released, and then I found out, after doing some research online, that it was a reboot of a much older series that was *GASP* available on DVD. Naturally, when we got one in the store, I immediately snatched it up, and I have been a rabid fan ever since.


* This can mean two things: 1) I am way older than I feel because VHS tapes are a thing that hipsters came to my former workplace to buy because they're "vintage" (and not guaranteed to actually work) or 2) technology is moving so fast that, within, like, a decade, we're going to be watching movies inside our eyelids.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...