Tuesday, May 12, 2015

31 Day Star Wars Challenge, Day 12: Favorite Ship

And yay! Back on track! "No more sickness" is my current mantra, because dear God, it's been a rough two weeks, what with the new house (you'll be getting a post on that soon, trust me), the new car, and then with whatever tummy ailment decided to mess with my goals.

Enough about me! On to today's challenge: my favorite ship in the Star Wars movie canon. First, I'd like to talk about the ships from the prequel trilogy. Number one, there was a simplistic beauty in the lived universe that George Lucas created in the originals. Alien continued with that idea with the Nostromo, and then Battlestar Galactica (the reimagined series) perfected it, even creating a new ship out of spare parts and the Chief's brilliance. Number two, I get that the prequels took place in a period of relative peace, but that does not mean that everything was pristine and shiny, like the Naboo cruiser that Padme and her entourage rode in The Phantom Menace. Even the interiors looked like sets, unlike the realism of the Milennium Falcon. It was like we were being told that we were in a fantasy, like in Hollywood films about the Middle Ages where everyone is meticulously clean. It takes me out of the story.

I only bring this up so it's plainly obvious that my favorite ship comes from the original trilogy: the Executor from The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
Can you help me find this image's home?
Everything about this ship is fucking awesome. It dwarfs every other ship in the Imperial fleet; it serves as Vader's flagship; and it's color scheme and sharper edges make it appear that much more sinister. Like, if I had gone to the Imperial Academy, I would have longed to join the crew of the Executor, even if it meant that I would be in the proximity of a pretty evil dude*. Think of all the technological advancements that were within its hull. I'm not even a techno-geek, but that sort of thing gets me excited. Just to be able to test that sort of shit would be magical! Plus, it just looks so freaking cool. Damn, George, you know how to pick ship designers, I'll give you that. Or, well, you knew how. Now, you just surround yourself with yes-men.

Sigh.


BACK TO CHALLENGE

* If any of the Star Wars games, novels, and whatnot have any clout, Darth Vader wasn't there that often. He was usually off trying to fix whatever Starkiller had decided to ruin, or was on vision quests or something. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...