Thursday, May 14, 2015

31 Day Star Wars Challenge, Day 14: Character I Wish Got More Screen Time

Well, I was thisclose to choosing Qui-Gon for this one, but then I realized this would have just tortured poor Liam Neeson even more, so I couldn't go through with it. Also, he did get quite a bit of screen time in the first movie - and his voice in Revenge of the Sith - so I don't know if he really qualifies. I'd be rehashing a lot of what I said on Day 10, anyway, so it was back to the drawing board.

But then I remembered some deleted scenes I'd watched a few weeks back and voila! I knew who fit the bill.

Via Geek Tyrant
Mon Mothma was one of the only prominent female players in the original movies, and she didn't even show up until Return of the Jedi. We know so little about her, even though she is supposedly one of the most influential leaders of the Rebellion, as well as one of its founders. First, where has she been for two movies and why hasn't Leia at least mentioned her? Second, why is she so emotional when she mentions the Bothan spies? Third, why did George Lucas delete that scene in Revenge of the Sith, which would show even more ties to the original trilogy?

Star Wars, Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith, Deleted Scene* - Senators**

Mon Mothma (played by Genevieve O'Reilly) has so much gravitas in this scene that it baffles me that Lucas had never introduced her before. Then again, Bail Organa is little more than a plot point in the prequels, despite the impact he has on the original trilogy, so I suppose Mothma got similar treatment. She could have been a huge part of Padme's inner circle of friends, all witnessing the gradual degradation of citizens' rights, all the way back to Attack of the Clones. But nope. Instead, she's just some rando in a deleted scene. I think back on Day 11's challenge: why reintroduce characters we already know very well when you can flesh out others to make their cameos in the other films have that much more oomph? Because then you can't have Threepio being comic relief.
Via Get Off My Internets

BACK TO CHALLENGE

* Bai Ling showing up here made my fucking day, but when she makes Natalie Portman's performance look amateur by comparison? That's just priceless. 
** Also, do you see what I mean about how everything looks like a set? Obviously, it is, because, hey, this is a movie, but there is realism in the original trilogy that did not travel over to the prequels. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...