Friday, May 22, 2015

31 Day Star Wars Challenge, Day 22: Favorite Tracks from the Prequels Soundtracks

Eeee! I love the music challenge posts because 1) there's not as much writing to do and 2) I get to relisten to tracks that I adore. Not that I don't have the Star Wars soundtracks playing at least once a week, because I do. Those and the entire Mass Effect catalog. And Juno Reactor. And ... you know what, that is not the point. John Williams' epic compositions are.

So without further ado, my favorite tracks from the prequels!

"Across the Stars (Love Theme)"
Attack of the Clones

Yes, I hate the romance between Anakin and Padme because it's not convincing and it's dumb and contrived and ugh ... I just hate it, okay? But the theme? Top fucking notch. Plus, it is heavily used in Battlefront II, which is one of my favorite games of all time.

"Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul Continue Battle"
The Phantom Menace

The entire reason this is on the list is because of what happens at around :21 or :22. EPIC.

"Anakin's Dark Deeds"
Revenge of the Sith

The raw emotion behind is what I wish Hayden Christensen could have acted. Oh, well. 

"The Funeral of Qui-Gon"
The Phantom Menace

I kind of feel weird that this song was also used for Padme's funeral* in Episode III, seeing as Anakin had a much stronger connection to his, you know, wife than he did for that guy who won him on a bet, but whatever. It's still beautiful. 

"Anakin vs. Obi-Wan"
Revenge of the Sith

Williams' use of the Vader theme in this track is just perfect. I knew that it would be in here somewhere; it's one of the most recognizable pieces that, if he didn't include it, you would wonder what was wrong with him, but it was just so effective that it bears noting. 

There you have it! Just three more days and I'll get to do the originals! That actually got me just a tad bit excited. 


BACK TO CHALLENGE

* And here's a video that has the lyrics in Sanskrit and then translated into English. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...