Sunday, May 24, 2015

31 Day Star Wars Challenge, Day 24: Favorite Scene from The Empire Strikes Back

Via Star Wars Wiki
Spoiler alert: The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite film out of the entire saga, so sorry if you wanted to be surprised when you reached Day 30. I have each of the original trilogy films nearly memorized, so much that I don't even really need to watch it ever again (where's the fun in that?), but it's even more so with Episode V. I still feel many of the same emotions I had when I watched it the first time as a kid: glee, sadness, horror*. However, my fondness for the movie as a whole does not make today's challenge difficult for me in the slightest.

Now, this is more of a sequence of scenes that I adore, but seeing as it takes place at the same time, I don't think it's technically cheating. Anyway, when the Falcon lands on an asteroid in an attempt to evade the Imperials searching for them, and hijinks ensue: the ship needs repairs, Han and Leia make out (only to be interrupted by an oblivious Threepio), there are mynocks chewing cables outside. What I love so much about these scenes are the bits of character development that are so subtle but that give you a glimpse into what's going on with everybody aboard the ship. Leia is struggling with her feelings toward Han, something that she hasn't really had the time to consider, what with the Rebellion and all. This entire scenario is mirrored in the prequels with Padme wrestling with her "feelings" about Anakin, but it isn't done nearly as well. As evidenced by Han's "I know" quip later on in the movie and by his flirting with her during these scenes, he is obviously aware of his own attraction to Leia but has a lot on his mind that can keep him distracted until she fully comes to grips with it. Chewie, of course, finds this whole charade amusing but also seems to be saying, "Oh, my GOD, just bone already," and the hapless, clueless Threepio just remains his bumbling self, ruining a romantic moment with the thrilling information regarding the success of ship repair.

I just love the entire asteroid sequence, with its witty dialogue (one particular bit I'll get to on Day 28), fun music, and character development. And now I'm sad that my Star Wars DVDs are in storage a few states away. You will be in my possession again soon, my pretties, and then I can watch this to my little heart's content.


BACK TO CHALLENGE

* It's kind of like Romeo and Juliet. I know what's going to happen, but I am still thinking, "It can't be so" when Vader reveals to Luke that he's his father. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...