Sunday, May 3, 2015

31 Day Star Wars Challenge, Day 3: Favorite Trailer

I wasn't even born when the any of the original Star Wars films came out, and after growing up throughout the 80s and 90s, I have grown accustomed to how movie trailers look. So when I was gifted the entire trilogy on DVD (later, on BluRay), I was tickled pink to watch the original trailers in the extras. Looking back, I think I was expecting a polished product, sleek and actually using the now-famous score. But what I got was this:


And I love it. Maybe I love it because it's so unrefined. It hearkens back to when Lucas was forced to be creative because he didn't have a whole group of yes-men blowing sunshine up his asshole. He had a bunch of people who didn't believe in him and his vision; methinks he needed those people when the prequels were in development.

I watched the behind-the-scenes documentaries a few years ago and was amused that, when this trailer was made, half of the special effects hadn't even been completed, hence the choppy meshing of what shots they did have. And the voice over guy? I was laughing hysterically at his delivery; he sounds like he was trying to narrate the beginning of a Dark Shadows episode or something, which to be fair, as far as he knew, that's what he was doing. It's fairly obvious that the studio had no fucking idea on how to market this film.

But you know what? Despite the shittiness of this trailer, Star Wars went on to become a media empire. People flooded into the theater and allowed the rest of the original trilogy to be made. And then later, those same people flocked to see the prequels (although they left much more disappointed than they'd hoped). I really hope that J.J. Abrams and Disney look to this for inspiration in the next trilogy. Sigh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...