Monday, May 11, 2015

31 Day Challenge, Day 8: Favorite Member of the Rebellion and the Old Republic

Dammit, how I wish I could use the EU right now. Well, that's not entirely true. It's just that I know so much about each of the characters beyond their appearances in the movies, and this decision would have been that much harder if I were able to include them. Ultimately, I would have come to the same conclusion, but I feel like this isn't even a real challenge. So I expanded this into two characters, one from each of the trilogies, just to make it a bit difficult for me.

Via Game Zone
Naturally, I'm going to pick Han Solo for Favorite Rebel. And not just because Harrison Ford is a giant Sex Bunny. Yes, even now. He's like Sean Connery used to be for me, before I found out that he was physically abusive to women.

But as far as the character goes, I just feel like Han was the one main protagonist who really changed the most, for the better. Yes, Darth Vader returned to the Light Side of the Force, and Luke became a Jedi. But Han? He started out a completely selfish dickhead, albeit a likable one, thinking only of a way to get out of debt to Jabba, and by the end, he had committed himself to fighting with his friends for the good of all, while maintaining his irreverent attitude the whole time. To be completely honest, it's almost as if the events of the films brought his true nature to the forefront. For whatever reason, Han had separated himself from everyone else - except Chewie - and had learned to live as a survivalist. But when he saw Luke and Leia, two people who had lost everything, focusing all of their energy into the Rebellion, he thought, "Well, maybe I can, too." It's inspiring, really.

With the Old Republic, however, things aren't so clear for me. I mean, yes, a lot of it has to do with a lack of honestly cool characters in the prequels that have any other qualities besides just appearing on screen. Really, my only option is to go with Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Via Doddle Me
In Belated Media's takedown of the prequels, they said that the series of movies should have been focused on Obi-Wan's journey, and I totally agree. He was far more interesting than Anakin and Padme's romance, and it would mirror the original trilogy, seeing as George Lucas mentioned that he wanted to do exactly that. The overarching story would be about Vader/Anakin, sure, but it would have made the prequels seem more focused than they ended up being. But anyway, unlike Han, Obi-Wan was much more consistent in character, even while going through a galactic war. He's obviously war-weary by the end of the third film, and he's matured since he argued with his own master, Qui-Gon, but for the most part, the only thing that has really changed about him is that his viewpoint has expanded. He's that good guy who does honestly try to do the right thing whenever possible, and as his responsibilities grow, so does his compassion and love for all things. I just wish he'd been given that much more to do in the prequels.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...