Tuesday, February 9, 2016

29 Day Cowboy Bebop Challenge, Day 9: Least Favorite Villain

Honestly, Twinkle Marie could fit into this day's challenge because she was just so blah, but since I already used her, I'm going to be a tad bit controversial. Why? Because I'm tired and feeling a bit contrary.

So ... here it goes. I'm picking Vicious.
Via Cowboy Bebop Wiki
Yep, I'm choosing the main villain of the series. I told you I was feeling contrary, but it's not like I don't have my reasons.

For starters, the name. I feel like Jessica Jones talking to Kilgrave whenever anyone says Vicious' name.
Via Live Long and Prosper
It gets me thinking way too much. 1) Did his parents name him that? 2) If they did, was it like, "I don't know English and that sounds like a strong name. DONE AND DONE." 3) Is it a nickname? 4) Did he name himself that? 5) How long did it take for it to stick? 6) Do his friends (does he have any?) call him anything for short? And the list actually continues.

Honestly, it's a big problem that I have with a lot of anime. Very personality-descriptive names just annoy me because, like in the previous paragraph, my brain just runs with it and I end up very distracted.
Anyway, I'm all for enigmatic baddies as much as the next gal, and Vicious is intriguing in that aspect. We know very little about him and more about the characters that surround him, which as a storytelling device is pretty brilliant, sure, but as a character, he's just sort of one-note, never changing and spouting off silly lines like, "There is nothing to believe in. There is no need to believe." I know that's kind of like blasphemy to any otaku out there, but I just can't help it. I watch the scenes with Vicious to know more about Spike, not because Vicious interests me.

But maybe that's the point: the story isn't Vicious' story. Cowboy Bebop is the tale of the crew (mainly Spike, obviously) and why they are the way they are. So ... good job, guys?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...