Friday, May 6, 2016

31 Day Xena: Warrior Princess Challenge, Day 6: Favorite Season Three Episode

Okay, so Season Three's entire storyline almost put it in my least favorite season, because ugh, magical demon pregnancy and drama between Xena and Gabrielle and ... I really could go on, because parts of it were really bad. And to be honest, my favorite Season Three episode has a lot of the parts that were awful, including some uncharacteristically bad acting from Lucy Lawless, but once you get past the opening - which I'll admit was one of the worst things I've ever seen - it gets incredible.

Via Wikipedia
"The Bitter Suite" is the famous musical episode that had Joss Whedon put a hold on doing his own similar episode in Buffy the Vampire Slayer until Season Six, and it serves a similar purpose: to process through unspoken emotional issues. And, if I can say this without pissing off my inner Buffy-fan, I feel "The Bitter Suite" is more effectively done than "Once More With Feeling." Sure, the CGI is terrible, and it's super cheesy, but instead of being about the reason the characters are growing apart like "Once More with Feeling," this episode is about reconciliation. Even watching it time and time again, I still tear up whenever Xena (Lucy Lawless has a gorgeous voice, btw) is singing a request for forgiveness to the people she loves: Gabrielle and her deceased son, Solan. Some of the other highlights are the cameos of Callisto, Ares, and Joxer, and I was surprised that Kevin Smith's voice is as good as it is. He was probably the best one of the actors who used their real singing voices (Hudson Leick and Renee O'Connor had professional singers dubbed over them).

There are a couple of things that had me wondering at the end, like what about the Amazons that Xena attacked at the beginning? Did Ephiny just shrug and be like, "So my arm is broken and stuff but hey, at least you two worked out your problems?" How did Xena and Gabby not die after plunging off the cliff? Why was Callisto some weird anime character style thing? Meh, who cares? It's a great episode.

DAY 7: FAVORITE SEASON FOUR EPISODE >

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...