Sunday, May 1, 2016

31 Day Xena: Warrior Princess Challenge, Day 1: How I Was Introduced to Xena: Warrior Princess

I'm going to be incredibly honest here: I was *thisclose* to postponing this challenge. Considering what's going on in my life right now, it really did feel impossible that I would be able to complete the challenge - especially since I haven't finished my Cowboy Bebop challenge from February yet - and I went back and forth for a bit. God, it just sounds so childish, even now as I am thinking about just deleting this post and replacing it with, "Hey, guys, this is gonna come later," but that's kind of how it is right now. Every little decision I make is difficult, even simple ones like "do I write blog posts" or "what do I eat right now because I'm not even really hungry but I haven't had a meal all day and it's 7:30 PM."

But then, I thought, "What would Xena do?" She would roundhouse kick the shit out of things and do what she needed to do. So, I'm going to tackle this challenge with the same gusto of the warrior princess herself.

One of my favorite shows as a kid was Hercules: The Legendary Journeys starring Kevin Sorbo, mainly because of my mom, who thought that Sorbo was quite possibly the best thing since Elvis Presley*. We watched it nearly religiously, and I fell in love with all of the recurring characters, like Bruce Campbell's Autolycus and Kevin Smith's Ares. But when Xena showed up on screen, I was enthralled. Unlike Herc, she was a mortal, gifted with strength and military prowess just because of who she was, not spouting from a godly heritage, and her attempts to repair the damage she had done through her "evil**" ways really resonated with me. It's not like I was going around and burning towns to the ground, but my youthful self was rather ... impulsive and occasionally destructive.

Once I got into Xena: Warrior Princess, I very rarely watched any of Hercules' adventures. I had all I wanted: a badass bitch, fighting warlords and gods with her best friend/lover and righting wrongs across Ancient Greek, Rome, China, and Japan (don't ask). Hercules just didn't do it for me any longer, and I found myself wanting to watch more shows that featured women as the leads. Xena is responsible for getting me excited about Buffy the Vampire and the revamped Battlestar Galactica (Starbuck as a woman? HELL YES) and even inspired my own writing.

Alright, that's it for today. Tune in tomorrow for more Xena: Warrior Princess!



* I personally found Michael Hurst more attractive, which is strange because I am not normally attracted to blonde men, but hey, whatever.
** I say "evil" because, like so many well-crafted villains, she had a purpose for her actions: she became who she was to protect her people but was seduced by the power that came with it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...