Friday, February 10, 2017

28 Day Friends Challenge, Day 10: Favorite Season One Episode

Yay, it's my favorite part of this challenge! Starting from the beginning (singsongy a very good place to staarrrrt), we get to meet the gang and their various issues, ranging from job woes to antagonistic relationships, and I really do feel like, at least at this point, the writers really knew how to create relatable characters. The pilot wasn't the best I've ever seen (that would have to go to Orphan Black, which kept me at the edge of my seat nearly the whole time), but it established pretty much all we had to know. Of course, we don't really get to the "classic" episodes until later, but what really hooked me on the show was "The One with George Stephanopoulos."

Via Friends Wiki
Number one, it has one of my all-time favorite Phoebe lines: 
Monica: Phoebe, do you have a plan?
Phoebe: I don't even have a pla.
That, right there, is one of the most relatable moments from the entire series, even now. Rachel's depression - that has spread to the other women - encapsulates the sort of weird feeling you have as a new adult. Up until that point, you're like, "Okay, I'll just get through college, and then everything will fall into place," which is such a huge lie because LOLOLOL. I'm 33 and I still don't have my life together. 

Number two, I love the whole squealing and arms flailing that Rachel does with her old friends (which Phoebe and Monica promptly mock). I cannot tell you how many times I have wanted to do this myself, especially now that I'm older and I don't really understand youths. 

Number three, Ross getting his face knocked in by a flying hockey puck is pretty much perfect symbolism for how his life is going. 

Number four, the whole hospital scene is hilarious, even Ross' fight with the kid over the hockey puck. The nurse is gloriously callous to everything, and honestly, her anger at not being 100% satisfied by her candy bar is comedy gold. 

It's not that I think that people succeeding and being happy with the direction their life is going. I love Parks and Rec, for crying out loud, but Friends really seemed to be in its element when times were a little tougher for the cast. Because people can relate to that shit. That's why it's funny; we've all been there. Parks and Rec had that balance between things going well and also not so much, but Friends never really managed to get to that point; the writers felt like they had to manufacture conflict, and that came across in so many ways. But in episodes like this? They got it. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...