Thursday, February 23, 2017

28 Day Friends Challenge, Day 18: Favorite Season Nine Episode

And now we're getting into my two least favorite seasons, so this is gonna be a bit of a tough one. It's not that there weren't quality episodes (as a matter of fact, the one I chose for this season's favorite is one of those), it's just that they were so few and far between that it's easy to forget that either Nine or Ten had any good episodes. For tomorrow's challenge, I definitely had to scrounge.

But for today? That is not the case.
Via Vada Magazine
You know how I complained that Phoebe, my favorite character, could just be removed? Well, I don't know if what's revealed in "The One with the Mugging" makes up for it 100%, but it's a step in the right direction. I love how Phoebe has such a tragic backstory - that she tells so happily - and now that history comes full circle, especially since it's another embarrassing story for Our Favorite Ross.

However, it's the other stories that actually bring this episode from okay to awesome. Plus, we have Jeff Goldblum:
Can Someone Help Me Find this Image's Home?
Joey having to pee (and therefore acing his audition???) was very much overshadowed by Goldblum's lines because they were ridiculous but delivered with such conviction that you bought it. I mean, and it's Jeff Goldblum. He could read the dictionary and I'd be enthralled.

But my favorite part is Chandler becoming an intern. I just started my prerequisites to get into nursing school, and I'm fairly certain that, when I start actually taking nursing classes, I will be one of the older students. I'm only 33, and I know a lot of people my age are going back to school either out of necessity or because they finally figured out what they wanted to do after working the jobs their first college go-round gave them. But it should be interesting. And Chandler, as he is wont to do, takes things in stride, eventually coming up with the most clever marketing pitch out of his entire group. I love that Chandler grew so much in the latter seasons, becoming one of my favorite characters. He was no longer the neurotic child; sure, he was still neurotic and used humor to avoid dealing with things directly, but he was so much more likeable.

All around, this was a superb episode, and I wish that the writers had continued with their streak. Ugh, because it's about to get so much worse.

Honorable Mentions: "The One with Phoebe's Birthday Dinner" has one of my favorite Phoebe moments, when she yells at Judy Geller to pick up Emma's sock from the ground. "The One with the Pediatrician" introduces Mike, and only Dwayne Johnson is above Paul Rudd on my Male Celebrities I Would Sleep With list. Jeff Goldblum is, like, third.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...