Thursday, February 2, 2017

28 Day Friends Challenge, Day 2: Favorite Female Main Character

This should not really come as a surprise to anyone who knows me, even in a very superficial sense, because it's probably always one of the first things I say to you upon meeting me: I love Phoebe Buffay.
Via Her Campus

Seriously, she is the best character, and there is no way in the world anyone could convince me otherwise. While the rest of the cast seemed to be reduced to caricature by the end of the series, Phoebe grew into something more while remaining as quirky and inappropriate as ever. Her wedding was my absolute favorite on the series (Susan and Carol's is a close second), and she delivers some of the best lines of the show.
"If we were in prison, you guys would be, like, my bitches."
"Oh, I wish I could, but I don't want to."
"One really does have a stick up one's ass, doesn't one?"
Rachel: How could you not tell me she has hair?
Phoebe: I don't know! I hardly say that about people!
Via FanPop
Ultimately, though, I identify with Phoebe so much more than I do with the other characters. She has a certain childlike approach to life that I share and a love of the weird.
Via Thought Catalog
She's also blunt, sometimes to the point where you feel like you have to tell her that, "Hey, Pheebs, you probably should have worded it differently." She's also super aware of her flaws but doesn't necessarily feel like she needs to apologize for them; if she got rid of them, she wouldn't be the awesome person she is.

And I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention her most obvious talent: lyrics. I know that everybody loves "Smelly Cat" - and let's face it, who wouldn't? - but my favorite song is ...
Via Curly Hairs
I mean, how can you not love that song? Granted, I also like the songs she wrote for the kids at the library - with themes of homosexuality, mortality, and where your meat actually comes from - and her many depressing Christmas songs. Oh! And her ode to her former partner (played wonderfully by Elizabeth Daily, the voice actor for Tommy Pickles in Rugrats) who sold her soul to write jingles was particularly harsh, condemning the woman to hell. Such poetry.

Part of her charm also comes from her relationships with each of the other characters, too. Her monthly dinners with Joey are my particular favorite because she just so casually mentions it to the rest of the group, saying that they get together to talk about them. She and Ross have a playful (at least from her perspective) rivalry about their different viewpoints on pretty much everything, and she and Chandler are basically just kids when they're together, putting on races between the Chick and the Duck and discussing the necessity of pants on Donald Duck. She's definitely a source of consternation for Monica, but she definitely will always have her back, and I think that she and Rachel made better roommates since they didn't have that constant spectre of Monica's past weight and Rachel's high school popularity. She actually seems to be a truer friend than the others, too, as she doesn't have any long-standing histories but still chooses to hang around. And she appears to have a life outside of the group, even marrying Paul Rudd's Mike (who I adore).

Basically, what I'm saying is that she is probably the only character that I would be friends with in real life. She has her own issues, sure, but she is seriously the absolute best.
Via Wiffle Gif

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...